Terms of Reference | Ngā Tikanga Whakahaere
Independent Legal Review Panel
The Terms of Reference for the Independent Review of the statutory framework for legal services in Aotearoa New Zealand (the Review) were set up by an Independent Steering Group (the Steering Group).
The Steering Group finalised the Terms of Reference following consultation with the public and the legal profession in April and May 2021.
As outlined in the Terms of Reference, the Review will examine the following:
- whether the Law Society’s representative functions should be separated from all or some of its regulatory functions
- the scope of regulated legal services
- complaints and discipline, particularly how complaints are made and responded to
- conduct and culture within the profession, including how unacceptable conduct is prevented and addressed
- the role for Te Tiriti o Waitangi and biculturalism, and how inclusion and diversity should be expressed in the regulatory framework and in organisational and governance arrangements
- the optimal organisational and governance arrangements for supporting the delivery of regulatory and representative functions.
More information available on the New Zealand Law Society website.